Makeup Storage: From Mayhem Mess to Entirely Organised‏

As my makeup collection has been growing and growing recently, I have needed to find a new way to store my makeup instead of my old method which was 'shove it all into one big drawer with no thought at all'. As you may guess, this way become increasingly frustrating as my makeup collection grew and grew and it became more and more difficult to find anything I wanted in the vast drawer I had allocated to holding my makeup. Therefore, I began searching the internet for great alternatives to makeup storage.

I found mainly clear plastic holders for lipsticks, brushes and other bits and bobs but I wasn't really into the design. I wanted something a bit more unique, something with some style. Therefore, I kept looking and found this:


This beautiful box is from Oliver Bonas and has many different compartments within it. This means that I can lie down flat the longer pieces (eyeliners and eyebrow pencil) or stand up shorter pieces (foundation and primers) in the two long compartments at the back of the box while I stand up some shorter makeup pieces at the front (lipsticks and mascaras etc.)

The box was originally intended by the store to be used as a jewelry box but I thought that it would work perfectly as the makeup organiser I had been looking for. Therefore, I now use this lovely organiser as a holder for all of my 'everyday essential' makeup that I use every single day in my makeup look and the drawer mentioned before for the makeup I will use occasionally when going on nights out and need fuller coverage or a more dramatic look. Therefore, the makeup in this Oliver Bonas box is all of my natural, essential pieces.


This is the drawer I use for all of my evening or less essential makeup. As you can see, this isn't organised with any rhyme or rhythm, literally everything is just dumped in it. However I feel that for now, while my makeup collection is as big as it is, this just about works for me. As you can see, this is where I keep my non-essential makeup pieces such as gel eyeliner (I only use this on evenings out, otherwise I find a felt tip eyeliner is much easier and quicker to use on a daily basis) and fuller coverage foundation (my MAC foundation gives me a thick coat of coverage which is needed on clubbing nights out so it will last though all the fun). 

I also keep all my lipsticks that aren't my top favourites in the little drawers either side of the mirror. I keep my favourite lipsticks in my Oliver Bonas box for a quick and easy grab every morning.


This is a gorgeous little holder I got on sale from the Joy shop. I think it is actually meant for the kitchen to hold biscuits or teabags or some other food based product but I thought it was just about the perfect height for me to stick all of my makeup brushes in. This holder is a little tall for some of my brushes but at this point in my collection, I still don't own too many so it is easy to pull out a shorter brush when I need it. The shortest brush I own in the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, so any of you Real Techniques fans will understand that this still isn't a short brush. Therefore, I don't really find any problems with such a tall holder. 

I think this is such a pretty alternative to some of the ridiculously overpriced makeup holders on the market nowadays and works just as well. It is very simple and sweet and even as a little lid that closes over my makeup brushes. This is a HUGE plus when travelling around because it means I don't have to unpack my brushes from this holder, I can simply fasten the lid over the brushes and they won't spill out of the holder when I pack them away! Handy! :)

What kind of storage do you guys keep your makeup/brushes in? I would love some more tips! Let me know :)

xxx
Powered by Blogger.